Sunday, December 12, 2010

"Home for the Holidays"

A friend wanted to do a service project this holiday season. She chose Gary's parents as her lucky/blessed recipients. Her plan was to makeover the house! She asked Gary and I to keep it a secret and try to get supporters to help. She ended up letting Kent and Jeanette in on it knowing we'd need their help and knowing that Jeanette would like to help pick the materials.

We (mostly Kent and Jeanette) spent weeks selling furniture and packing up their whole house for this big makeover! By time it was finally time to do the makeover I was seriously worn out. Or so I though. We spent the first day redoing the kitchen counters. I loved getting my hands dirty and learning how to install Formica. 

The second day was filled with paining! We had help from many friends! The third day we ripped out flooring and put in a tile entry way and back splash in the kitchen! We also did some paint touch ups.

Day four was spent placing wooden floor boards in areas where the linoleum would be laid. We also put it in the kitchen and dinning room and front bathroom. They brought in the new toilets and new vanity and sinks in the bathrooms.

Day 5 we installed the carpeting, faucet installations and final touch ups.When all was done and everyone had left, Kent and Jeanette returned home from their mountain retreat in Estes Park.

I learned a lot and most importantly I loved the experience. I got to know the sweet lady who put this all together as we worked together through out the week. I felt bad now and then for following her around but I wanted to help and enjoyed doing so.  The construction workers were the best! They were so kind, funny, smart and experienced. I felt lucky to be in their presence as they worked.

It was a wonderful experience and the final results and the joy it brought to Kent and Jeanette are priceless!






No comments: